Thursday, January 22, 2009

Doot Doot Doot, painting out my back door.


This one is literally down the stairs from my home and looking left. The sun doesn't get to high this time of year here (I don't know how painters north of me deal with this) and this is was done around noon time with these crazy long shadows. There aren't to many places I can find to go with (now) 12"-18" of snow and the sides of the roads are covered with 3ft snow banks. So for the immediate future I'm roaming the yard. Quote:"To be an artist is just the same thing as to be a whore, as far as dependence on the whims and fancies of individuals is concerned" Dante Gabriel Rossetti 1828-1882. (he gives a great reason to call oneself a Painter instead of "an Artist")

8 comments:

Solvay said...

Hey Dan, I put you on my bloglist, AND I corrected the spelling of Ray's name. I'm REALLY grateful for your request and inspiration for a new playlist. I needed it. I needed it THIS WEEK. Thanks!

Solvay said...

Okay - SHEEEEEEEEEEESH! what a quote that is. I've been communication this week with a long-lost friend, and my soul has felt curdled, even rotted, but the whole "artist" life he lives. SO smart, SO talented, but after a few days I've felt rotted......blechhh. Your quote couldn't possibly have summed it up better.
Meanwhile, such a fascinating painting of Northern Winter NONLight. It's all shadowy - and "seemy" - very cool. Can't wait to see your MIDSUMMERNIGHT paintings!!! There's something similar in the light of your paintings to some of Munch's works (NOT the Scream). I like it!
Thanks for both the painting AND the quote!

Solvay said...

By the way - what's DOOT DOOT DOOT?

Christine Mercer-Vernon said...

hi dan, i like how you just roam around your house, i'm not a fan of painting outside in the cold, looking out my windows is the best i can do this time of year. great juicy thick paint and colors, the loose brushstrokes in this really set the mood. i got a chuckle out of that quote, that's a good one, never seen that one before.

Daniel Corey said...

Thank You Solveg, I'm glad you like the quote but I'm sorry if it rings true..?. I'm glad you like Rays music, to me it sounds like where I live looks.(if that makes sense?) and doot x's 3 is from the CCR song I guess I could have spelled it dewt, but how do you spell sound??

Daniel Corey said...

Hi Christine, Thank you I had fun with this one and it was around 33-38 degrees that day, with the sun on ya it wasn't that bad. but still cold. Thank you I look pretty hard for my quotes.

Frank Gardner said...

Nice painting Dan. You got a lot of nice color in there.
Good job on the value changes as the shadow passes across the forms.

I got the doot doot doot by the way.

Good quote.

Daniel Corey said...

Thanks Frank, Its funny how a cool color looks lower in value then it is..?. it helps in snow painting thats fo sho. glad you got the "doots" I think I sing that to myself every time I paint where I'm living.