Thursday, July 11, 2019

Summertime 2019

"Summertime" 36x36"







 This poor blog.. Neglected for years now, in favor of bite sized Instagram and Facebook posts. I have been looking for a place to ramble a bit, completely forgot about here. Well i didn't forget, I just remembered at the wrong times..
 This year started off with an April showing at Portland Art Gallery, I painted several beach scenes. One example is this one, "Summertime"36x36". Painted on a hardboard surface instead of my usual canvas, lets all the work show and the impasto stands up nicely. 
 SO far this summer I have been visiting beaches, painting/sketching unsuspecting beach goers that are NOT posing and move consistently. It can be frustrating when they move or you didn't get enough info and a cloud covered the sun, but also exciting when it works out. The challenge reminds me of quick pose at life drawing but the clock is completely random. 

What do you do that challenges you in a fun way? (in painting or life in general)

“Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.” 
― Robert F. Kennedy





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome painting

Unknown said...

Beautiful work! I am learning the choreography to a few dances for an Indian Fashion Show...

Steve said...

Love your summer atmosphere. Actually, all of them. Your snowman painting demo got me comfortable with color I was just not able to put down. I still feel better with a palette knife when pushing my reality. (I am a total left brain guy). Would love to visit your palette content. I still use what I learned in my first class. Fairly simple. UMB, AC, CYL and some complementaries. Thanks for sharing.

Daniel Corey said...

Anonymous, thank you!

Unknown, Thank you! That sounds infinitely harder!

Hi Steve, thank you, thats nice to know that it helped you with color! My palette content is pretty simple. UMB, pthalo blue and green, cad lemon, and medium, cad red and quinacridone red, and an indian yellow. Sometimes Ill add Gamblin Radiant colors to the palette or another companies equivalent. I will also just add a color that i like, if I was sucked in at the art supply store. The key to wrangling all this color in is to be very wary of your value changes OR only use a few of all these colors. Best of luck in your work, Thank you for chiming in!